The Knowledge Accelerator (KA) uses crowdworkers to synthesize different information sources on the web in response to a query. We prototyped this system in order to explore crowdsourcing complex, high context tasks in a microtask enviornment. Our system performed quite well, checkout the answers it produced!
EcoTouch was developed for the Stony Brook Watershed Association as part of my undergraduate HCI Capstone project. EcoTouch is a game that helps individuals understand the impact of using sustainable systems in their home. It uses a multitouch table with augmented reality markers to create a physical and digital experience, where users complete simulations of attempting to make a more sustainable home.
Taking our design idea from the fall, we decided to go through with building one of the impliments: a force sensing can. Over the course of the semester, we prototyped and built a soda-can like prototype, using the actual outside of a soda-can, fitted with an internal chassis. The final version of our can is battery powered with a bluetooth module for communication back to a MATLAB program that reports the results.
For my interaction design final, my project team and I developed a ubiquitous computing system that improves EDM concerts. The system, dubbed DanceFest, captures dance moves of individuals at concerts and exhibits them to the crowd.
For my Writing for the Professions class, my group and I created an instructional booklet that detailed the steps required to register for classes. The booklet covers creating your schedule, registration, and waitlist management.
For my BME design capstone project, my team is working on designing a novel way to detect the grip force of patients in occupational therapy. We decided to select common, every-day objects and embed them with force sensors. This would increase the functionality and association of the measured grip force to the task being performed.
As an addition to the Greenlight project, I worked on creating a mobile application that allows you to control the system and receive information about its current status. Additionally, this application works with a Bluetooth Low Energy beacon to detect if you are close to a Greelight-enabled room and alerts you appropriately.
As a part of my Six Degrees of Francis Bacon class, my group wanted to see if we could discern the attitudes towards contextually sensitive words in particular time periods by using their n-gram frequencies. We used the K-Mediods algorithm to cluster similar words from the Google N-gram database.
Greenlight is a system created for my Information Systems capstone project. It harnesses this idea of daylight harvesting -- adjusting artificial lighting in accordance with natural lighting -- wirelessly. By connecting together 3 components - a dimmer, a sensor, and a backend server - we created a system that has a potential for saving up to 70% of lighting costs.
For my Surgery for Engineer's project, my team did an evaluation of the current techniques utilized for Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) repair. After reviewing the fixation techniques, we determined that current ACL fixation devices lack the ability to tension a graft post-fixation. Therefore, we developed TensiFix -a device that utilizes an interference screw to provide post-fixation tensioning.
For my User Centered Research and Evaluation class (UCRE), half of the semester was focused on a contextual design project. For this project, my team and I explored the idea of how we could improve the way students complete assignments. We developed the (Re)Iterate solution, an assignment portal that would allow for students to perform iterations on assignment and receive feedback from instructors and other students, all while tracking their various iterations.
This was an application created for maintenance workers for my Designing Human Centered Software class. We saw that most maintenance workers utilize paper systems to manage and organize work requests. To help improve workers' ability to coordinate and log requests, we performed a contextual inquiry to gather what features workers would want in a system. After gathering the requirements, we went through 3 prototyping stages, finally producing an Android app.